All About Stainless Steel Strip Coil
The versatility of stainless steel is unmatched as the material can be produced in such a wide variety of different forms. One of these forms is stainless steel strip coil, which is equally versatile and is used for an exceptionally wide array of applications from flexible tubing to filtration devices, from springs to heating elements and from surgical instruments to cutlery.
As one of the UK's largest independent stainless steel suppliers, BS Stainless are able to quickly and reliably provide an extensive selection of stainless steel strip in many different grades from the 200, 300 and 400 series. Popular grades include:
- Grade 304 / 1.4301. A consistently popular grade choice due to its marked resistance to corrosion and exceptional weldability, grade 304 stainless steel coil is noted for its ability to be easily shaped or roll formed.
- Grade 316 / 1.4404. Where even greater resistance to corrosion is required, such as in the marine environment, 316 is the preferred choice. This grade is especially resistant to pitting corrosion thanks to the addition of the element molybdenum.
- Grade 321 / 1.4541. A variant of 304, this grade has added titanium to make it stronger. Grade 321 stainless steel strip displays excellent welding characteristics and is particularly resistant to the damaging effects of intergranular corrosion.
- Grade 430 / 1.4016. Primarily used in the catering and other domestic industries, grade 430 is a ferritic alloy designed to deliver good resistance to corrosion.
A comprehensive collection of finishes is also available from BS Stainless when purchasing stainless steel coil. Popular finish options include:
- 2E. This is a cold-rolled finish notable for its dull, rough appearance.
- 2D. Also cold-rolled, the 2D finish has a matte surface with low reflectivity.
- HR / No.1 . This hot-rolled finish has a scaled appearance and so is ideal where the final aesthetic is not an important concern.
- BA / 2R. Another cold-rolled finish, BA stands for 'bright annealed'. This highly-reflective finish is achieved by annealing the alloy in a carefully controlled atmosphere.
- 2B. The most popular surface finish, 2B offers a smooth appearance with a grey, reflective sheen.
To assist customers who wish to precisely determine the correct width, length and diameter of strip required, BS Stainless has created an accurate and easy-to-use coil calculator. This can be found on the BS Stainless website and is absolutely free to use with our compliments.
Find out more details about stainless steel coil on our website and get in touch with our technical team for further information and advice.